Skip to main content


To identify the territory of regulation and tax of a construction risk consider:

  1. The nature of the cover provided;
  2. The location of the insured property; and
  3. The location of the insured’s residence(s) or business establishment(s).

Contractors’ All Risks (CAR) / Erectors’ All Risks (EAR)
Machinery and plant

Contractors’ All Risks (CAR) / Erectors’ All Risks (EAR)

CAR and EAR policies cover contract works and associated property against the risk of damage by perils not specifically excluded. CAR and EAR policies may be extended and can be combined with such insurances as public or employers’ liability and business interruption.  If so, the premium should be split between the different risks which should be considered separately for location of risk purposes.

The location of fixed property will normally create a location of risk but for moveable property the rules are more complex.  Please see “ Moveable property” in the “Property” section of this guidance for further details.  Generally miscellaneous financial loss risks, e.g. business interruption, will follow the treatment of the property risk. 

Where policies cover liability risks the place of the business establishment of the insured most closely associated with the risk should be used.  It is possible for the construction site itself to constitutes an establishment for the purposes of identifying the location of liability risks, however this will depend on the nature of the activity covered.  Many tax authorities will also look at duration of the construction to determine whether or not an establishment is created, generally if the site is open over one year it can be treated as an establishment. 

Machinery and plant

Machinery and plant insurance covers losses arising from physical damage to moveable property.

In most territories, the risk location is where the moveable property is normally situated.

The main exception to this rule is in the EEA where the regulatory risk location for moveable property is the territory where the insured is resident but the tax risk location remains the location of the moveable property. 

If the contract covers moveable property situated in more than one territory there may be multiple risk locations.

Where the moveable property’s location is uncertain or variable, the risk location is the territory in which the insured’s residence or business establishment is located.

Please note: In some territories, the location of the insured’s residence or business establishment creates a risk location irrespective of the physical location of the insured property. Consequently, if the insured property is in a different territory from the insured’s residence or business establishment, there are two territories for regulation and tax.  

Get in touch

Lloyd’s International Trading Advice

Lloyd’s International Trading Advice are the primary point of contact for advice and information on Lloyd’s trading status worldwide.