International Policyholder Complaints Handling for Managing Agents and their Representatives
Requirements for managing agents and their representative (which could be a coverholder or third party administrator).
Lloyd’s requirements for the handling of complaints from eligible complainants are set out in its ‘Code for Complaints Handling’. All managing agents are required to ensure that their processes and procedures are compliant with the Code.
Lloyd’s arrangements for international complaints are intended to allow for the oversight of complaints handling, consistent with the regulatory expectations of the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), whilst allowing flexibility for managing agents in the way they handle complaints in accordance with local rules.
Notification and Response
All complaints must be notified to Lloyd’s complaints team with via secure API message for managing agents in scope for DEX messaging or via email to email@example.com using the appropriate notification spreadsheet:
- International Notification Spreadsheet
- Channel Islands & Isle of Man Notification Spreadsheet
- Australia & New Zealand Notification Spreadsheet
- Italy Notification Spreadsheet
- Australian complaints received from 1 July 2021
Any queries can be referred to the Lloyds complaints team:
A response must be issued in accordance with local requirements and timeframes. When issuing a response, the complainant must be informed that they may be able to refer their complaint to the relevant external dispute resolution service (EDR) for review. Full EDR contact details must be provided and these can be found in the country specific complaints handling summaries below.
A copy of the response and original complaint must be sent via via secure API message for managing agents in scope for DEX messaging or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 2 business days of the response being issued.
Further details can be found within the Lloyd’s guidance notes. The guidance notes provide a practical process for handling international complaints from eligible Lloyd’s policyholders:
- International Guidance Notes
- Channel Islands & Isle of Man Guidance Notes
- Italy Guidance Notes
- Australia Guidance Notes
- New Zealand Guidance Notes
- Singapore Guidance Notes
- Canada Guidance Notes
- USA Guidance Notes
Any queries can be referred to the Lloyds complaints team.
Tel: 0207 327 5696
Country Specific Guidance
To assist managing agents and their representatives, Lloyd's has prepared complaint handling summaries for the territories listed below, all other territories should be handled in accordance with local requirements and these will be monitored by Lloyd's using a standard eight week timeframe.
Details of the complaints handling rules for each territory where Lloyd’s has a license are provided on Crystal.
Lloyd’s requirements for the handling of international policyholder complaints are set out within the Market Bulletins listed below. Managing agents underwriting relevant business must ensure that their processes and procedures are compliant with the requirements of these bulletins:
- Market Bulletin Y5340 - Code for Complaints Handling
- Market Bulletin Y5154 - International Complaints Handling: Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Singapore and other territories
- Market Bulletin Y5091 - International Complaints Handling: EEA Countries and Switzerland
- Market Bulletin Y5041 - International Complaints Handling: New Procedures in Italy
- Market Bulletin Y5019 - International Complaints Handling: USA
- Market Bulletin Y4993 - International Complaints Handling: Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Greece, Netherlands and Portugal
- Market Bulletin Y4961 - International Complaints Handling: Expansion of New Procedures
- Market Bulletin Y4943 - International Complaints Handling: New Procedures in Italy - December 2015
- Market Bulletin Y4896 - International Complaints Handling: May 2015
- Market Bulletin Y4970 - International Complaints Handling: Poland