The Risk Locator Tool
Risk locations determine the territories whose laws, regulations and tax rules apply to an insurance contract. The Risk Locator Tool will help Lloyd’s market participants decide the correct ‘location(s) of risk’.
Risk Locator Tool
In consultation with the Lloyd’s market, Lloyd’s has developed and launched an online business tool called ‘The Risk Locator Tool’.
Why is risk location important?
It is important to get risk location right as getting it wrong can lead to:
- paying the wrong taxes
- writing invalid insurance contracts
- mis-reporting the funding that supports Lloyd’s ability to trade overseas
- delays in premium processing
- penalties incurred by insured’s, intermediaries or underwriters
- breach of international sanctions
- a negative impact to Lloyd’s international trading position
Outside of the EEA there is little harmonisation of insurance regulations and fiscal rules. International risks can involve multiple jurisdictions and therefore multiple regulations and taxes will need to be considered.
For example, on a marine hull risk the location of the insured, the operating location of the vessel and the country in which the vessel is registered may all give rise to separate risk locations. In certain circumstances a risk may have:
- more than one risk location
- different risk locations for regulation and tax purposes
- no risk location
How does the Risk Locator Tool work?
The Risk Locator Tool asks a Lloyd’s market participant a number of questions, e.g. location of the insured, location of the property, location of a producing broker. The Risk Locator Tool then analyses this information and establishes the country(s) where regulations and taxes may be applicable.
The Risk Locator Tool then directs the user to relevant information in Crystal (i.e. Lloyd’s licensing position, sanctions, tax rates and class specific requirements). The Risk Locator Tool can provide downloadable pdf reports and is accessible via mobile applications.
- Click the log-in/register button on the Crystal homepage
- Click the ‘Register Now’ button and complete the simple form
- Once a user is successfully logged in to www.lloyds.com, to apply for enhanced Crystal access click on 'My Account' at the top of the screen and then click on 'Request system access' under Lloyd's tools section
- Click Submit
- Lloyd’s will process the request and send confirmation that authorisation has been given
- Users will now have the authorisation to start using the Risk Locator Tool, which can be accessed either by the direct link http://lloyds.com/rlt or wherever you see the Risk Locator Tool icon on lloyds.com
Existing Crystal users
Lloyd’s market participants who already have a lloyds.com account and enhanced Crystal access will have automatic access to the Risk Locator Tool.
- Use either the direct link https://rlt.lloyds.com/ or click on the Risk Locator Tool icon that is available around lloyds.com
- When prompted, enter your lloyds.com username and password