Skip to main content

Lloyd's Policyholders from Hong Kong – How to make a Complaint

If you wish to make a complaint, please check your policy for details of the person to contact. Alternatively contact your broker or if the complaint relates to a claim contact whoever has been handling your claim to inform them of your dissatisfaction, the following process applies:

What is a Complaint?

Any oral or written expression of dissatisfaction, whether justified or not, from, or on behalf of, a person about the provision of, or failure to provide, a financial service, which:

(1) alleges that the complainant has suffered (or may suffer) financial loss, material distress or material inconvenience; and

(2) relates to an activity of that respondent, or of any other respondent with whom that respondent has some connection in marketing or providing financial services or products, which comes under the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service in the UK

How Lloyd’s Will Handle Your Complaint

Lloyd’s operates a two stage process in Hong Kong.

Stage One 

  • The complaint will be considered by the underwriters of the policy who will issue a response, ideally, within 14 calendar days.
  • If you remain dissatisfied following the underwriters’ response or you have not received a response within 14 calendar days, you are entitled to request that the complaint be escalated to stage 2 by contacting Lloyd’s Complaints team.

Stage Two

  • Lloyd’s obtains the documentation from the underwriters and undertakes a full review of the complaint.
  • When the review is complete a Final Response will be issued detailing the outcome of these investigations.
  • If you remain dissatisfied at this point you may refer the matter to the following External Dispute Resolution (EDR):

Insurance Complaints Bureau (ICB). The ICB can investigate disputes of personal insurances for monetary value up to HKD 1.2m. The ICB will handle complaints exceeding its jurisdiction limit if you agree to confine your claim amount to within the limit of the ICB at the time.

The contact details for the ICB are:

Insurance Complaints Bureau 29/F, Sunshine Plaza 353 Lockhart Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong

Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)

If you are not eligible to escalate your complaint to the ICB in Hong Kong you may have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

The contact details for the FOS are:

The Financial Ombudsman Service

Exchange Tower


E14 9SR

United Kingdom

The FOS is an independent service in the UK for settling disputes between consumers and businesses providing financial services. You can find more information on the FOS below.

Get in touch

Contact Lloyd's in the UK



Fidentia House

Walter Burke

Chatham Maritime