Today, Lloyd's is based in an award-winning building in Lime Street, London. But the insurance market has been housed in a number of different buildings during its 330-year history.
Through the ages
Lloyd’s Coffee House, Tower Street
Lloyd's earliest home was Edward Lloyd's coffee house on Tower Street, firmly established by 1688 in the City of London. In the 17th century, London's importance as a trade centre led to an increasing demand for ship and cargo insurance. Lloyd's coffee house became recognised as the place for obtaining marine insurance. This small club of marine underwriters moved to Lombard Street, closer to the heart of the City, in 1691.
Royal Exchange, Cornhill
Lloyd's slowly evolved into a more formal society, and in 1774 the 'Subscribers to Lloyd's' occupied new premises at the Royal Exchange in Cornhill. Sadly, the building was destroyed by fire in 1838 and Lloyd's moved to South Sea House before returning to the rebuilt Royal Exchange in 1844.
The 1928, Leadenhall Street
In 1928, the Society moved into the first building it had ever owned, at 12 Leadenhall Street designed by Sir Edwin Cooper.
The 1958, Lime Street
As business expanded, the market moved to a second new building in Lime Street in 1958 designed by Terence Heysham, who had been chief assistant to Sir Edwin Cooper: the first of the Lime Street buildings it would occupy.
The Lloyd’s building, Lime Street
The internationally renowned Lloyd’s building was designed by the architect Richard Rogers and took eight years to build. It was opened by Her Majesty The Queen in 1986. 33,510 cubic meters of concrete, 30,000 square metres of stainless-steel cladding and 12,000 square metres of glass were used during the construction.