Lloyd's Isle of Man Policyholders - How to Make a Complaint
Find out how to make a complaint and the complaint handling procedure.
If you wish to make a complaint please check your policy for details of the person to contact. Alternatively contact your broker or if the complaint relates to a claim contact whoever has been handling your claim to inform them of your dissatisfaction.
What is a Complaint?
Lloyd's defines a complaint as:
Any oral or written expression of dissatisfaction, whether justified or not, from, or on behalf of, a person about the provision of, or failure to provide, a financial service, which (1) alleges that the complainant has suffered (or may suffer) financial loss, material distress or material inconvenience and (2) relates to an activity of that respondent, or of any other respondent with whom that respondent has some connection in marketing or providing financial services or products, which comes under the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service.
How Lloyd's Will Handle Your Complaint
If you wish to make a complaint it would be a good idea to check your policy for the procedure if you haven’t already done so. Alternatively you could contact your broker or if the complaint relates to a claim you could contact whoever has been handling your claim to inform them of your dissatisfaction.
Lloyd’s provides a complaint resolution service, free of charge, where disputes are reviewed on the balance of probabilities, having regard to the evidence submitted by both parties. Lloyd's aims to conclude the majority of complaints received within 8 weeks in accordance with the Financial Conduct Authority Handbook. Within this 8 week timeframe Lloyd’s operates a 'two stage' complaints process as follows:
- The complaint will be considered by the underwriters of the policy who will issue a response, ideally, within 14 days.
- If you remain dissatisfied following the underwriters' response, or if you have not received a response within 14 days you are entitled to request that the complaint be escalated to stage 2.
- Lloyd’s obtains the documentation from the underwriters and undertakes a full review of the complaint.
- When the review is complete a Final Response will be issued detailing the outcome of these investigations.
- If you remain dissatisfied at this point you may refer the matter to The Financial Ombudsman Scheme (if eligible) provided you do so within 6 months of the date of the Final Response. The Financial Ombudsman Scheme can only consider your complaint following our consideration of the matter.
The Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme
Fax: +44 (0) 1624 686504
These complaint handling arrangements are without prejudice to your rights in law.
Make a complaint
You can contact Lloyd's in the UK at:
Walter Burke Way