16 – 21 October, Lloyd’s was proud to host the first in-person Broker Academy in two years, with 34 brokers from the United States and Canada and they were met in London by Dawnmarie Black, Mark Rector and Pat Talley from our offices in North America.
Oct 16-21 2022
Lloyd’s Broker Academy
A week-long intensive experience for high achieving US and Canadian brokers.
One Lime Street, London, EC3M 7HA | Brokers/ Coverholders
On Sunday 16 October, our delegates met each other and the Broker Academy Working Group for the first time, at an opening reception at Swan at the Globe and were organised into six teams for the team challenge (named after streets in London) – Crutched Friars, Leadenhall Market, Lime Street, Pudding Lane, Seething Lane and St. Mary Axe.
Day one started with an opening briefing by John Neal, CEO of Lloyd’s followed by the most popular session of the week - a CEO roundtable moderated by Bruce Carnegie-Brown, Chairman of Lloyd’s with Sean McGovern, CEO of AXA XL; Adrian Cox, CEO of Beazley; Lucy Clarke, President of Marsh Specialty and Andy Bragoli, CEO of Howden Insurance Brokers.
In the afternoon, delegates were treated to a visit to Guildhall where they met prominent London business leaders including Michael Mainelli and William Elliott from the City of London Corporation, and enjoyed a personal tour of the remains of the ancient Roman amphitheatre. Day one ended with a lovely supper, hosted by Howden Insurance on the 15th Floor of their headquarters.
On day two, delegates split into their five workstreams (energy, management liability, marine & inland transport; professional liability and property) to receive presentations on the role of the Lloyd’s broker and underwriter. Each delegate then had the opportunity to shadow an underwriter at their box, seeing live risks being discussed with brokers in real time, and getting a closer view of the negotiations that go on within the Room. After a brilliant presentation in the afternoon on ESG from the Lloyd’s perspective, day two ended with a darts competition at Flight Club, hosted by Miller Insurance.
Day three was packed with presentations from the market including appetite and underwriting considerations and the perfect submission: how to adapt to current market conditions. This was followed by a networking lunch hosted by Nick Donovan, Head of Distribution at Lloyd’s, with surprise visitors from the Lloyd’s Lab and case studies in the afternoon where delegates split into their workstreams to visit Kroll and FloodFlash at the Shard, Greencoat Capital, Resilience and Parsyl.
On day four, the delegates visited the Lloyd’s Lab where they met several graduates of the Lloyd’s Lab programme, designed to promote innovative products and risk transfer solutions and provide expert mentoring for young companies entering the insurance space. Lloyd’s Lab graduates at the event included:
- Next - Gen
They then returned to a presentation on Black Swan Events and moved into broker shadowing in the afternoon followed by presentations on the lifecycle of a claim. That evening we all enjoyed a sumptuous dinner in the Adam Room at Lloyd’s hosted by Patrick Tiernan, Chief of Markets at Lloyd’s.
Day five started with ‘Around the world in 80 minutes’ where delegates were treated to roundtable discussions from market leaders on product recall, active assailant, K&R/crisis response, political risk and supply chain. They then faced the judges for their team challenge, and we were delighted when team Leadenhall Market was announced the winners.
At the end of the programme, the delegates were presented with their ‘graduation’ certificates by some members of the Broker Academy Working Group:
Congratulations to all our attendees, who are listed below.
- Ashley Abraham, Senior Underwriter, Totten Insurance Group in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada
- Kasey Armstrong, Senior Vice President, Amwins Global Risks Limited in Miami, Florida USA
- Allison Benney, Area Assistant Vice President, Gallagher in St Louis, Missouri USA
- Corey Berman, Area Assistant Vice President, Gallagher in Los Angeles, California USA
- Danielle Brozic, National Manager, Underwriting Operations, Brokerlink in Toronto Ontario, Canada
- Joseph Carothers, Assistant Vice President – Underwriter, Brown & Riding in Tampa, Florida USA
- Kayla Cecchine, Account Manager, Conner Strong Buckelew in the Greater Philadelphia Area, USA
- Elizabeth Cohon, Head of Eastern US Middle Market Broking, Willis Limited in New York, New York, USA
- Bryce Cornejo, Processing Account Manager at IMA Financial Group in Denver Metropolitan Area USA
- Thurston Davis, Associate Broker – Property Division, RT Specialty in Birmingham, Alabama USA
- Blake Dethlefsen, VP & Team Leader, Aon in Los Angeles, California USA
- Margaret Dodd, Commercial Marketing Assistant, McGriff, Seibels, and Williams in Athens, Georgia USA
- Kyle Dumas, VP & Team Leader – National Casualty, Aon in Brooklyn, New York USA
- Jessica Dunn, Client Executive, RCM&D in Washington, District of Columbia USA
- Miriam Ehrlich, Account Executive, Johnson Kendall & Johnson in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
- Cheryl Fearon, Vice President of Sales, Zensurance in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada
- Mark Gleason, Account Executive, Parker Smith & Feek in Seattle, Washington USA
- Bruce Guthrie, Insurance Broker / Client Executive, RCM&D in Silver Spring, Maryland USA
- Chad Harrington, Commercial Broker, Hull & Co in Metairie, Louisiana USA
- Joan Hencler, Underwriting Operations Manager, Falvey in North Kingstown, Rhode Island USA
- Brianna Hernandez, Account Manager, Newfront in San Francisco, California USA
- Matt Hoeft, Vice President / P&C Broker, Breckenridge Insurance Services in Dallas, Texas USA
- Matthew Jones, Vice President, Stephens Insurance in Little Rock, Arkansas USA
- Andrew Kurt, Vice President – Executive Risk/M&A and Transaction Solutions Broker, Hylant in the Greater Chicago Area USA
- Sarah Lambert, Account Executive | P&C Major Accounts, Conner Strong Buckelew in Greater Philadelphia USA
- Marissa Leonard | Assistant Vice President, Energy, Marsh Specialty in Houston, Texas USA
- Maritza Maya, Vice President, Marsh McLennan in Los Angeles, California USA
- Jack Meikle, Account Executive, CAC Specialty in Houston, Texas USA
- Danielle Menard, Vice President, Aon in New York, New York USA
- Michael Savransky, Executive Lines Associate Broker at Risk Placement Services in Marietta, Georgia USA
- Juanita Shaikh, AVP, Head of Operations | Underwriter, Southern Marine and Aviation Underwriters in Houston, Texas USA
- Jaimee Williams-Caldwell, Senior Vice President & Professional Liability Practice Leader, Founders Professional in Greater Chicago Area USA
- Olivia Wood, Underwriting Analyst Team Lead, Continental Underwriters in Richmond, Virginia USA
- Simon Ze, Segment Manager, Transportation, CanSure Underwriting in Vancouver British Columbia Canada
The Broker Academy Working group:
- Nicola Beckles, Marketing Manager, Lloyd's
- Dawnmarie Black, Northeast Regional Director, Lloyd's America Inc.
- Glenn Dorr, Head of Distribution – North America, BRACE Underwriting Limited
- John Eltham, Head of North American Business, Miller Insurance
- Anne Glynn, Senior Broker Relationship Manager, Lloyd's
- Paul Howard, Head of Coverholder Development, AXA XL a division of AXA
- Angus Pearson, Executive Director – Onshore/ Downstream Energy, R K Harrison Insurance Brokers
- Georgina Peters-Venzano, Chief Marketing Officer, Beazley
- Mark Rector, North America Project Manager, Lloyd’s
- Matthew Rolph, Head of Distribution, Inigo Insurance
- Pat Talley, US Central Region Director, Lloyd's America Inc.