Applications now open for Lloyd's Charities Trust volunteer trip to Malawi
Open to all Lloyd’s market colleagues, this opportunity is through our new charity partner, Habitat for Humanity Great Britain.
In October 2020, immerse yourself in Malawian culture and help local communities, homeowners and builders to build new homes in the Mulanje region. If you want to be part of the Lloyd’s market build trip to Malawi in October 2020, you can apply now! This amazing opportunity is brought to you through our new partnership between Lloyd’s Charities Trust and Habitat for Humanity Great Britain. The partnership will focus on the joint vision to create braver and more resilient communities in climate risk areas.
Lloyd’s Charities Trust has been supporting causes relevant to the market and our people for the last 60 years. As the Lloyd’s market responds to emerging risks and the challenges that these pose to communities around the world, it becomes increasingly important that Lloyd’s Charities Trust supports projects that aim to reduce the risk of devastation to the people who need it most. The new partnership will encourage a Lloyd’s market wide approach to help fulfil Habitat for Humanity’s goal of a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live.
Our partnership consists of funding a project in the Chikawawa region of Malawi; an area hit by much devastation and flooding. We will conduct research into how to improve the resilience of communities in flood risk areas, build community disaster preparation hubs, and deliver training and materials to help more than 20,000 individuals disaster proof their homes.
The partnership also aims to strengthen the disaster risk reduction approach of Habitat for Humanity Great Britain through pro-bono support and expertise from the Lloyd’s market in addition to fundraising and volunteering from the (re)insurance sector. If a trip to Malawi is not for you, please see more information about other opportunities you can get involved in here.
The Lloyd’s market Build trip
If you are looking to challenge yourself, this is the opportunity for you. You will have the unique chance to directly contribute to Habitat for Humanity’s work on the group. This region has an extremely high housing need, with many children led households as a result of high levels of HIV and AIDs and large proportions of the community living below the poverty line of living on less than $1 dollar a day. There will be an expert team of builders and volunteer leaders to help you make the most out of the experience; from fundraising to laying bricks.
This Build trip will be open to anyone working in the Corporation of Lloyd’s or the Lloyd’s market as an incredible volunteering and fundraising opportunity. This aims to develop professional and personal skills, help you build a network of peers across the market and come together to help build resilient communities in an environment facing more climate risks than ever before. With a fundraising target to reach to support the amazing work of Habitat for Humanity Great Britain, your funds will enable Habitat for Humanity to help build its disaster prevention support.
We hope that this experience will help build your knowledge and understanding of the role that Lloyd’s and the market can play in supporting those who are most vulnerable. On return to the UK, your role is to act as an ambassador for our partnership, championing our work. This could be helping with pro-bono support to the charity in your area of expertise, sharing knowledge of climate resilience, contacts, organising events or raising awareness of the partnership – it really depends on you!
For any questions or for more information, please contact Jo Taylor, Responsible Business Manager at Lloyd’s on firstname.lastname@example.org and we look forward to receiving your application!
Details and how to apply
- You can find out all the information (costs, location, accommodation, itinerary) about the Build trip here: www.habitatforhumanity.org.uk/volunteer-trips/lloyds-of-london
- Apply for this opportunity by completing the Malawi Build application form by close of play on Friday 13 December 2019.
- Due to the limited number of spaces available, and depending on the number of applications received, you may need to take part in a two-stage process. If you're successful in the first stage application form, you may be invited to an informal telephone interview but this is to be confirmed once applications close.
- Applicants will be informed if they have been successful or not in early January 2020.
Criteria for all Build trip participants
- You must be a permanent employee or on a fixed term contract where you will be working either at the Corporation of Lloyd’s or at a company operating within in the Lloyd’s market at the time of application and the trip.
- You must not be a third party contractor.
- You must not be in your probation period in your role.
- You must not be undergoing a disciplinary or performance management process at the time of application or the trip.
- Check what your company volunteering policy allows. It may enable you to use some of your paid volunteering time to take part.
- Check what match fundraising your company provides. It may enable you to have your fundraising match funded, doubling your donation to Habitat for Humanity.
- Check if your company may support you with the cost of this trip as part of supporting your personal and professional development; for example, trip costs, flights so you can focus on your fundraising.