Half way through our three year partnerships, find out more about the Lloyd’s Charities Trust funded projects.
Insurance plays a valuable role in creating a more confident and secure world, and this extends to our charitable work. For over 60 years, Lloyd’s Charities Trust (LCT) has been making grants to national and international charities on behalf of the Lloyd’s market.
At the midway point of our partnerships with RedR UK, Build Change, and Whizz-Kidz, we are proud to showcase our achievements, creating lasting change locally and globally.
Lloyd’s Charities Trust has supported RedR UK, an international capacity building NGO for those responding to disasters globally, with a £150,000 donation each year.
Our funds have upskilled and supported 3,727 humanitarians and aid workers, better equipping them to respond to disasters. As a result, RedR UK is recognised as a centre of expertise in this area, bringing the private and humanitarian sectors together. This has been achieved through:
- Delivering the only specialised online courses of their kind to over 1000 people, bespoke training to 21 private sector specialists and capacity building courses to 15 humanitarians.
- Bringing together 147 professionals across sectors to Lloyd’s for a conference to share learnings on responding to disasters with humanitarian and private sector partnerships.
- An online platform which shares knowledge and best practice on responding to disasters globally amongst 2400 users.
- A unique global e-mentoring programme with 39 pairs working across both the private and humanitarian sectors.
For the remainder of our partnership, RedR UK plans to develop more specialised online courses, increase face-to-face education and “train the trainer” events. They will also aim to improve the innovative online platform, which gives humanitarian workers in emergency situations free access to technical support.
LCT also supports Build Change with £100,000 donation each year. Build Change is an international NGO working to reduce loss from disasters in emerging nations. Our funds go towards an ambitious grassroots pilot which aims to retrofit (structurally strengthen) vulnerable homes in the slum areas of Medellín, Colombia and Manila, Philippines.
The pilot scheme has so far subsidised 50 families in Medellín and 60 families in Manila to retrofit their homes, provided technical resources and expertise to local housing agencies, supplied 40 new jobs and upskilled 40 local workers. Through demonstrating the benefits of safer housing, Build Change has gained support from local government, the private sector and home owners for this initiative. This has put the concept of strengthening existing housing on the global agenda and engaging organisations like the World Bank. The next steps will focus on scaling up the pilot and developing sustainable financing.
Whizz-Kidz provides disabled children with the essential wheelchairs and mobility equipment they need to lead fun and active childhoods and reach their potential. Through a donation of £50,000 every year, LCT funds a mobility therapist who provides equipment and support to more than 470 disabled children and young people in the UK over the course of our partnership. LCT has also facilitated eight work placements for young wheelchair users across the Lloyd’s market, and supported fundraising of £5,474 for the charity.
How to get involved
If you are feeling inspired and wish to support our partnerships, you can:
- Offer a work placement to a young wheelchair user in your department/company.
- Raise funds for Whizz-Kidz or RedR UK through their calendars of local and global fundraising events and challenges.
- Give Build Change technical support from your desk with assessing risks, mapping and hazard training.
Don’t forget that through LCT, you can apply for a £4,000 donation for a charity close to your heart as part of our Lloyd’s Market Charity Awards.
To find out more, please contact ResponsibleBusiness@lloyds.com.