Open Market Correspondents (OMC)
An OMC is an insurance intermediary who introduces business to a Lloyd's broker for placement in the Lloyd's market on an open market basis.
Canadian or non-domicile intermediary's need to be registered/approved as an Open Market Correspondent if they wish to place non-marine, marine or reinsurance business through Lloyd's underwriters in Canada. They must place business with Lloyd's in accordance with all applicable local requirements, they must be fully aware of all the regulations and applicable taxes for placing insurance such business, and must undertake to comply with all legal and fiscal obligations per the OMC Undertaking.
Process for registering/approving a new OMC
- Obtain the sponsorship of the Lloyd's broker
- Download the application form and Undertaking
- Sponsoring Lloyd's broker and applicant to complete the application form, sign and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where necessary a General Representative may require further details and will contact the applicant (OMC) and/or the Lloyd's broker directly.
- Lloyd's Canada will notify the sponsoring Lloyd's broker and OMC once an application has been successful
Open Market Correspondent directory
This directory includes information on all Open Market Correspondents.
Becoming a Coverholder
All firms wishing to become an approved coverholder must complete the application process.
Each applicant requires a sponsoring Lloyd's broker and managing agent, who perform their own due diligence of the application before it is submitted to Lloyd's coverholder department for review.
In reviewing an application Lloyd's will pay particular attention to the following areas:
- Suitability and experience of individuals
- Applicants financials
- Authority to operate in specified territories
This directory includes information on all approved and restricted coverholders.
See www.lloyds.com/crystal for more details.