In Hong Kong policyholders and brokers can place business at Lloyd’s locally, by approaching a coverholder or service company in Hong Kong (please see below for contact details), or on a cross border basis, by approaching a Lloyd’s broker, coverholder or service company based overseas.

How to place risk at Lloyd’s
Find a coverholder in Hong Kong

Business is accepted by Lloyd's Underwriters through the following entities:

Lloyd's brokers: insurance business is generally brought to Lloyd's by Lloyd's brokers who are insurance broking firms accredited by Lloyd's to broke insurance business at Lloyd's.

Non-Lloyd’s brokers: insurance business also may be placed at Lloyd’s directly by non-Lloyd’s brokers. It is for the managing agent to check that the non-Lloyd’s broker meets the minimum standards. Non-Lloyd’s brokers may also place business at Lloyd’s through Lloyd’s brokers, coverholders or service companies.

Coverholders: Lloyd's underwriters may delegate their authority to enter into contracts of insurance to coverholders. In Hong Kong, this may be to an underwriting agent (registered with the Insurance Agents Registration Board) or a broker (registered with either the Confederation of Insurance Brokers or the Professional Insurance Brokers Association). In such circumstances the general principle is that the coverholder acts as agent of the Lloyd's underwriters (rather than as agent of the policyholder). For additional information, please contact Lloyd’s Hong Kong.

Service companies: Lloyd’s underwriters are permitted to establish syndicate service companies in Hong Kong, operating as subsidiary companies of a managing agent in London. Syndicate service companies need to be registered as insurance agents in Hong Kong. Please contact Lloyd’s Hong Kong for further information.