How is risk placed at Lloyd's?

The majority of business written at Lloyd’s is placed through brokers who facilitate the risk transfer process between clients (policyholders) and underwriters.

Clients can discuss their risk needs with a broker, a coverholder or a service company. Specialist underwriters for each syndicate price, underwrite and handle any subsequent claims in relation to the risk. If you’re interested in obtaining insurance cover at Lloyd's you first need to contact a broker: 

Find a Lloyd's registered broker

Overseas clients

Lloyd's is licensed to do business in over 200 countries and territories. To see if Lloyd's is licensed to do business in your country, visit our interactive map.

The US

Insurance enquiries from US residents should be directed to an insurance agent or broker who is licensed to conduct business in the relevant state. The broker or insurance intermediary will advise you further on securing your insurance policy in keeping with local insurance legislation.

Details can be found via the National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices, Ltd.

To obtain information specific to your country or territory, go to:

Insurance Intermediaries

Lloyd's underwriters do not generally deal directly with policyholders.

Read about the intermediaries through which business is normally accepted

How Lloyd's operates

How exactly does Lloyd's operate?

Find out more in our explorer tool

How Claims Are Made

How does a policyholder make a claim, and how is it processed?

Find out what happens when a policyholder contacts their broker